Most homeowners don't bother to stop and think about when it is time to replace their roof until the leaks start pouring in during suppertime, but by this time, it is already too late to prevent serious damage from being done to the rest of your home. Leaks can be caused by all sorts of different roofing problems, but once a leak starts, it can begin to cause all sorts of further leaking problems.
Here is a quick list to help you figure out when it is time to replace your roof, without waiting for the leaks to start pouring in:
1. A roof isn't meant to last more than 20 to 25 years, so if your home is in that age range and you have never replaced your roof, chances are it is time for a replacement.
2. If you notice that the shingles on the roof of your home are starting to curl or buckle, then it is time to replace them. You don't need to climb up on your roof to see the damage here. Look at the slopes of your home, especially in the sunlight, to notice any damage.
3. Speaking of the slopes, the valleys of the roof are the first place that damage will develop when age is the problem. Shingles will start to fall apart or go missing altogether from this part of your roof, signaling time for a new roof.
4. Of course, missing shingles in general is a good sign it is time for a good roof---no matter where they are missing from. If you notice strange spots on your roof where shingles are missing, then you can be confident leaks will be short to follow.
5. If your home has a chimney, pay attention to the binding between the roof and the brick of the chimney. This is always covered with shingles to prevent leaking and corrosion around the chimney, but those shingles can fall away over time. This is another sign that your roof may be aging.
Perhaps the greatest giveaway that it is time for a new roof is when the proof almost literally hits you in the head. Shingle debris in your yard or in your gutter is sure proof that your roof is aging, and it is better to act quickly than to let it get worse.
Contact Exceptional Exteriors
for more information about roof replacement and to have a professional consider the best actions for your home.