Top European Car Rental Tips
Although many cities in Europe offer excellent public transportation systems that can get you practically anywhere you want to go, sometimes having a rental car is a luxurious perk that can pair perfectly with your travel insurance, especially if you plan on taking a drive through the countryside. When planning a trip, be sure to research rental-car insurance requirements of the country to which you are traveling. However, driving in the Old World is not exactly the same as it is in the U.S., so it is important to keep some things in mind when you are headed across the pond.
Here are some excellent tips for those who are looking to rent a car for a trip abroad to Europe:
* Many of the same rental car companies that you are familiar with in the states offer rates for European automobile rentals as well. If you want to make sure you secure the best possible deal on a rental car, book as far in advance as possible.
* Keep in mind that "full-size" in the U.S. has a completely different meaning in Europe. Since many of streets are smaller in Europe than in the U.S., manufacturers will often build less bulky cars, making "full-size" to a European more like "mid-size" to an American.
* If you are traveling with children, it might be wise to spring for a station wagon or a mini van.
* GPS is very useful in rental cars, but not always technologically reliable. Make sure to invest in a few maps, especially if you are traveling to an area or region for the first time.
* Diesel cars are much more popular in Europe. Many fueling stations carry diesel fuel throughout Europe. Because these cars have better gas mileage ratings, do not shy away from them because they use diesel fuel. You will often save money on fuel using diesel-fueled vehicles.
* Be advised that many rental cars in Europe have manual transmissions, so it would be wise to brush up on your shifting skills if you are out of practice.
* Keep in mind that in the U.K. and Ireland, you must drive on the left side of the road.
* You may opt to upgrade your travel insurance coverage to the Transportation Pak. This will cover your rental car if any damages occur caused by a collision, hail or vandalism. However, this upgrade will not cover other vehicles in the event of an accident.
About the Author
For more information about travelers insurance
, please visit http://www.travelexinsurance.com.
Submitted on: 2013-11-28 23:22:43